Ok, So after leaving Southampton with the shell of an old Honda Cj360t i drove it back to my Devonshire home. Did all the prep work and welding of the frame at my place of work, which was a little devon town called Widecombe on the moor was perfect really no internets, no phone signal no distractions.
Frame was deluged and cleaned up. Passenger pegs, steering lock all frame tags gone. Back of the seat was chopped off with hand bent steel tube welded in place and a aluminium tray fitted beneath to seat battery and hides electrics. Everything was sent for powder coating before assembly could begin.
Forks were stripped and rebuilt and fork yokes deluged. Mud guard bracket made bigger to accommodate tyre with the mud guard chopped and shaped down. Fork gaiters were fitted and again sent for powered coat.
New parts included rear shocks, lights, cables, brake seals, braided hoses, throttle body and cables, stainless bolt kits, ebay.
Speedo bracket made from aluminium with speedo sprayed and tarted up to look fresh.
Was going to go for the original bars but changed once on the road for the widest classic hi rise trials bars i could find. Just feels right. Brakes had a rebuild with new seals. Work surprisingly well with ceramic pads and new braided hoses.
The wheels wre stripped, rims and hubs powder coated then rebuild with new spokes. pirelli mt 45 rear trials rubber on the front and the back. In order to fully creat the dirt Scrambler feel the foot pegs were made bigger.
The seat tray is just bent aluminium, upholstery and foam by G Bennett Upholstery he's a dude
Fuel tank and mud guards required lots of prep and paint work by me in the shed. The bike ended up Nissan gold with matt lacquer. Didn't want it to be gold at the start but after looking at it for so long it grew on me and had to be the only colour. I love it.
Carbs were cleaned and rebuilt. black foam air filters connected. Carbs were half polished till i cleaned them with mucoff then went dull as fook. Was gutted 3 hours of my life wasted doing that.
Exhaust was the original pipes and 2 in to 1 box, pipes lagged, stainless tail tip on end of the box with baffle. so loud!!!!
The hardest bits to get right
The rear brake leaver was missing and i bought 3 off ebay all from America as i couldn't find one in the the uk. Each one arriving with me hopping it would fit, 3rd try lucky was the one that fitted.
Well i didn't have time or the proper measuring tools to do the engine so i got Mat from motorcycle co newton abbot to have a look at it. I wanted the top end doing so we had a look, all looked good but there was a broken piston ring but couldn't find the missing part so Mat advised looking deeper. The bottom end got split to find it was in there so luckily we didn't get lazy and just sort the top. As it was already in bits got the engine sprayed up looking sweet. Gear box, bottom end and top all rebuilt replacing and renewing. So we got it all back together engine back in the frame all pretty, shinny and running when balancing the carb and making sure it was running bang on, kicked it over and the kick start snapped off. Thinking it would be a easy fix the side covers got taken off to find the complete engine had to be split to replace the kick start shaft. We were gutted, so not only once did it get a rebuilt but twice after that though its been running sound.
End result it rides so well and puts the biggest smile on my face.